You Can Control What Controls You

About two years ago, I went through a really difficult time. I was losing battle after battle....with my alarm clock! That's right, the snooze button was kicking my butt. This was incredibly problematic for someone that had spent more than a decade into his career getting up at 4:00 a.m., sometimes earlier to get a lot done before the day started. Sleep was completely optional. While I would no longer support such an extreme view of the value of sleep, I still needed to get up before 5:00 a.m but I just gave up all willingness to do so and ended up snoozing at times for an entire hour. I came across the quote below and I decided to attack my new and unsettling lack of self-discipline head on. The solution was actually pretty simple. I started putting my phone in the master bathroom (which is inside my bedroom). I could hear the alarm easily but I had to put my feet on the floor to go turn it off. During the 10 steps to the bathroom, I was able to gather up the mental focus to NOT return to bed. It's one of the few solutions to any problem I've had that was instantaneous.

The lesson that I learned was two-fold. 

Do not let things control you that you do not want controlling you. This lesson can be applied to bad habits, nutrition, working out, relationships, etc. Never forget that you are a free-willed human being that can make choices and should give up the right to make choices to anything that isn't in your best interest. 

If I don't want certain things to control me, I'd better make an intentional change to set myself up for success. What does that change look like? While I believe each change is completely unique to the person making it, here's what I believe, based on my alarm clock victory, that it should include. 1) It should a small change. Changes are usually easier and longer lasting when they are small. I simply moved my phone to a different location. 2) The change should create a mental, emotional, or time margin so that you can focus. 10 steps to my bathroom was enough of a time margin for me to do the next thing. 3) The change should direct your mind to focus on why you are making this change. The 10 steps gave me enough time and movement margin to talk to myself instead of listening to myself. 

What about you? What's the small change that you want to make that will make a big difference? The biggest difference you should seek to make is that nothing should be in control of you but you. 


BLOG BIO

‘Bite Down and Don’t Let Go’ is a collection of writings on being intentional about life in a way that produces great persistence. Read about it more here.

Dr. Chris Hobbs is an educational leader and Director of Athletics at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach, Florida. He’s earned a few degrees and won some awards. He’s happily married to his high school sweetheart and they have three teen age children. Life is messy and complicated most of the time. You can follow him on Twitter for all sorts of inspirational thoughts and good laughs.

Comments