TALK on purpose

Last week, I had three exhilarating conversations with other leaders from around the country in the span of about 12 hours. The first conversation, I was connecting on purpose. The second conversation, I was looking for a solution to an issue. The third conversation, someone was asking me for some insight. It took me 48 hours to process what I had heard from those individuals and I'll probably change some things up as a result. It made me think how important it is to connect with others that are living a similar life to you but doing it in a much different way. I try to stay connected to a broad collection of other leaders inside my field of education. The differences in their personalities, styles, methods, communities, and perspectives is a humbling reminder that there is a lot of ways to positively influence people. I'm reminded that I do not have all the answers because I don't even know all of the questions!

Here's some ways I try to talk on purpose...
- 1 phone call per week to another leader that doesn't work with me
- I try not to turn down opportunities to host leaders from out of the area when they are in town. A 30 minute coffee or quick tour around campus can be a great opportunity for me to learn
- I connect with as many leaders as I can on social media. It's one of the benefits of living in 2019. Don't miss it!
- I reply to communications from other leaders as fast as possible. They'll be a day sooner or later that I'll need their advice asap so I try to return the favor on the front end.
- I try to always ask 'what's a big challenge you are facing?' or 'what are reading right now?'

We spend a lot of time talking. Let's spend a little bit of that time talking on purpose to people that can help us grow!


‘Bite Down and Don’t Let Go’ is a collection of writings on being intentional about life in a way that produces great persistence. Read about it more here.

Dr. Chris Hobbs is an educational leader and Director of Athletics at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach, Florida. He’s earned a few degrees and won some awards. He’s happily married to his high school sweetheart and they have three teen age children. Life is messy and complicated most of the time. You can follow him on Twitter for all sorts of inspirational thoughts and good laughs.

Comments