LOW ACCOUNT BALANCE: 7 things to do when trust is low

I spent 16 years as an athletic director. During that time, I provided countless support and guidance to coaches on how to deal with parents. The issue most likely to cause a conflict between a parent and a coach was playing time. Occasionally, one of my coaches could not satisfy a frustrated parent over their child's playing time, so I would have to intervene. My best attempts were utilizing a checking account analogy. Coaches are pragmatists specializing in outcomes. They decide on playing time-based on how much value a player contributes versus how much their efforts detract from the team's efforts to win. If they make too many mistakes and don't make enough contributions, they overdraw their value-added checking account and lose playing time. It was rare to satisfy parent concerns regarding playing time because every parent believes their child should be playing more. Parents are entirely illogical when it comes to their child's sports experience. Trust me. I've parented three student-athletes. 

While few parents embraced the checking account analogy, it works great for a leader who is new in their position. The currency that every leader needs an account full of is trust. And when you are a new leader, you have a low account balance of trust. The low account effect applies to leaders on their maiden leadership voyage or those who are seasoned yet new at their organization. Unfortunately, a veteran leader with a robust resume is at the same low trust account disadvantage as their rookie counterpart. There is only one way to fill the trust account as a leader:  T - I - M - E. 

How do you influence others when you don't have an account full of trust? What do you do when you just haven't had enough time yet? How do you lead others when they are unsure you can lead? Maybe they're begrudgingly waiting for you to earn their trust. 

Here are seven suggestions for a new leader when time has been short and the account balance of trust is still low. 


1. Understand Fundamental Attribution Theory and do the opposite. Fundamental attribution theory is the psychological effect of assigning the best intentions to our actions and the worst to others' actions. We are all susceptible to this. Know that. And don't do it. Believe the best of the people that you are learning to lead. Falling victim to fundamental attribution theory is a surefire way to keep a low account balance of trust. Trust does have a reciprocal effect. The more you extend it, the more it returns to you. 


2. Be loyal to those who aren't in the room. Leaders should demonstrate loyalty primarily to two groups: first, the person they directly report to (everyone has a boss), and second, the people they directly supervise. Focusing loyalty this way has a reverberating effect. Loyalty displayed to your supervisor makes them and you look good. It also lets the people in the room know you can be trusted when they are not in the room. Stephen R. Covey said, 'To retain those who are present, be loyal to those who are absent.' Loyalty can tide a leader over while building their trust account. 


3. Respond and follow through. Few things will deject a teammate, like a leader who does not respond to them. Few things will undermine the perception of a leader's capabilities as not following through. Don't do either of these things. Both things will be challenging because of the 'fire hydrant' effect. A leader new to their role or organization will drink information from a fire hydrant. There is no sipping or even gulping information. It is just gasping for air as an onslaught of new information pounds a leader. Here are two things you can do to manage the fire hydrant effect: respond quickly to people and increase the chance you will follow through. 1) Write everything down. Become the world's best note-taker. 2) Make your auto-response to people, 'I don't know. Let me check and get back to you.' If you are an excellent note-taker - the world's best - there is a good chance you will check with someone and get back to that teammate. 


4. Be on time all the time. There is something admirable about being punctual. So few people have the discipline to do so, and those that do inspire a sense of dependability. My father-in-law is always on time. It's intimidating. I also want to be like him because it's impressive. You can bet that if my father-in-law says he will do something, he'll do it. Your goal as a new leader is NOT to impress people, but it doesn't hurt either. Be on time, and you might survive your low account balance of trust.  


5. Ask, 'What can I do for you?' often. My father told me as I walked out the door to my first real job (Burger King closing crew!), 'Ask your manager if there is anything you can do for her before you leave your shift.' Begrudgingly, I did. I found that my manager rarely had a response for me, and if they did, it was a task that took less than sixty seconds. But that extra sixty seconds was exponentially valuable in building trust with my manager. I've taken that advice from my father and applied it to my loyalty ring, asking my supervisor and direct reports often if I can do anything for them. They rarely need anything, but the fact I ask tides me over while I'm building trust in my leadership account. 


6. Give credit where credit is due. The former CEO of Avis Rental Car, Robert Townsend, said, 'A leader doesn't need any credit. He's getting more credit than he deserves anyway.' Management legend Jack Welch said, 'Never score off your people by stealing their credit. Establish trust by giving credit where credit is due.' Leaders who want to survive a low account balance of trust become experts at giving away the credit. 


7. Get better. Modern times, technological innovations, and instantaneous communication force organizations to evolve faster than ever. This reality puts a premium on the ability to learn quickly. Alvin Toffler, famed futurist, said, 'The illiterate of the 21st century will be those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.' I get asked for leadership advice at times, and I've pivoted to first asking, 'How are you intentionally learning and growing?' It is amazing how a low account balance of trust will improve if you, as the leader, get better. One of my favorite quotes is Maya Angelou's, 'Do the best you can with what you know. And when you know a little better, do a little better.' 


Three different times in my career, I have taken on a new leadership role at a new organization in a new state. I brought a more robust resume of degrees, certifications, accomplishments, and accolades each time. Those things were valuable in getting the job and became irrelevant when I arrived. Once you begin, the only thing that matters is trust. Each of the seven things I have recommended helped immensely. They will help you too. 


Keep on, keepin' on, friends! 


Bite Down and Don’t Let Go is a collection of writings on relentlessly leading yourself and others well. Read about it more hereYou can listen to the Bite Down and Don't Let Go podcast here! 

Dr. Chris Hobbs is an educational leader with more than two decades of experience. He’s earned a few degrees and won some awards. He’s happily married to his high school sweetheart, and they have three children. Life is messy and complicated most of the time. You can follow him on Twitter for inspirational thoughts and good laughs.

Comments