Do's and Dont's of Grit: Never is never true

I have a rule with my family, if we are arguing and you use an absolute word (never, always, only, any, etc.) the argument is over. When someone uses an absolute in an argument, the other person immediately thinks of multiple examples when the absolute doesn't hold up and the argument devolves into uncontrolled emotional outburst. To make this rule even more unbearable for my family, I am the worst violator of my own rule! I always break this rule! (see what I did there?)

Too often though, we find ourselves in a temporary situation and we react with absolute thinking. This causes us to give up on people and principles in ways we never (see, I'm doing it again) thought we would. This is the opposite of grit. Gritty people remember that the temporary is exactly that; temporary. Gritty people...

Don't think that any inconvenient situation is permanent.
Do demonstrate patience, remembering that overnight success takes a long time to develop and difficult circumstances do not last forever.

In essence, gritty people know that never is never true (I did it again). They can ignore the doubts that arise in their own minds. Negative reactions like 'I'll never be able to...' or 'this is never going to change.'


I have an obnoxiously consistent strength training habit (see 'Never Miss' part 1 & 2 here. (Another violation of my absolutes rule). On my 30th birthday, I set a goal to lift a very particular amount of weight. Throughout the next 12 months of training, I would attempt to meet that goal and I wasn't even close. I could remember thinking, 'ugh, I'm never moving that weight'. For some reason, I just kept plodding along. Sometime around 33 years of age, I finally made my goal. It was a simple, visual, practical, and personal reminder that when it comes to being gritty, never is never true.


BLOG BIO
‘Bite Down and Don’t Let Go’ is a collection of writings on being intentional about life in a way that produces great persistence. Read about it more here.


Dr. Chris Hobbs is an educational leader and Director of Athletics at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach, Florida. He’s earned a few degrees and won some awards. He’s happily married to his high school sweetheart and they have three teen age children. Life is messy and complicated most of the time. You can follow him on Twitter for all sorts of inspirational thoughts and good laughs. 


Comments