FRESH EYES: getting a clearer perspective from a trusted source

My wife and I were on a flight recently and she was playing one of those word games on her phone that are kind of like Scrabble. After she had exhausted all of the possible word configurations she could think of from the 5-6 letters she was given she would elbow me and say, 'What do you see?' Almost like clockwork, it would take me only a few seconds to see a new word. I would blurt it out, with an annoying amount of smugness in my voice, and go back to reading. She would begrudgingly enter the word and move on to the next round of the game. This probably happened a dozen times.

Am I a genius with an exhaustive vocabulary? Hardly. I simply had 'fresh eyes'. I had not been staring endlessly mulling over letter configurations so I was relaxed and could instinctively react to what I saw. If the roles had been reversed the dynamic would've been the same. My wife would've had 'fresh eyes' and would've been able to see words I had just wasn't able to. 'Fresh eyes' from a trusted source have a way of untangling a problem.

Got a problem in your life? I'd encourage you to consider enlisting the help of some fresh eyes from a trusted source because...

'Fresh eyes' from a trusted source aren't mentally and emotionally exhausted from the problem. They are, well, fresh.

'Fresh eyes' from a trusted source aren't constricted by a limited perspective on the problem. We have a way of putting self-imposed barriers on ourselves.

'Fresh eyes' from a trusted source know your strengths and weaknesses and can speak clearly to how you may be contributing to the problem.

Sometimes 'fresh eyes' give us a solution we just could not see. Sometimes 'fresh eyes' validate exactly what we thought was the solution but we were afraid to admit. Get some 'fresh eyes' from a trusted source to help you look at a problem in your life.

If you're lucky, they'll have an exhaustive vocabulary too.

‘Bite Down and Don’t Let Go’ is a collection of writings on being intentional about life in a way that produces great persistence. Read about it more here.


Dr. Chris Hobbs is an educational leader and Director of Athletics at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach, Florida. He’s earned a few degrees and won some awards. He’s happily married to his high school sweetheart and they have three teen age children. Life is messy and complicated most of the time. You can follow him on Twitter for all sorts of inspirational thoughts and good laughs. 

Comments