A Coach is NOT a mentor...apparently

In October, I had the unexpected privilege to attend and present at the 2nd Annual Global Congress on Sport and Christianity hosted on the campus of Calvin University. Presenters ranged from Tim Tebow to college athletic directors and national champion college coaches to theologians from Yale. It was an unexpected privilege because I heard so many great insights on the purpose and passion of a career in athletic leadership.

I also heard that a coach is not a mentor...apparently. Dr. Valerie Gin of Gordon College, a former college coach herself, presented an article on 'Integration of Faith and Coaching at Christian Colleges'. In her research of 80 Christian college coaches, not a single coach identified a coach as a significant spiritual mentor in their life. I was stunned. I was stunned partly because I had a couple of coaches that played this role in my life. I was stunned partly because of my passionate belief that coaches can hold a uniquely intense role in mentoring a young person.
A few days later, I had two conversations with two individuals that shared my background and stunned reaction. The conclusion of those conversations that were we had a responsibility to pass along that experience to as many coaches as we could.

That brings me to the point for all of us. Who has had a huge positive impact on your life? A parent? A teacher? A coach? A pastor? A boss? What did they do to have such a positive impact?

Do not assume that impact is happening everywhere. Think long and hard about how to continue the positive influence that began in you and pass it along to as many people as you can.

I subconsciously made the assumption that all athletes were being mentored by their coaches. What I found out apparently is that I bear a burden to make sure that coaches are mentors because that's the role they played in my life. I'd encourage you to bear a similar burden reflecting the positive influence of those in your life.


‘Bite Down and Don’t Let Go’ is a collection of writings on being intentional about life in a way that produces great persistence. Read about it more here.

Dr. Chris Hobbs is an educational leader and Director of Athletics at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach, Florida. He’s earned a few degrees and won some awards. He’s happily married to his high school sweetheart and they have three teen age children. Life is messy and complicated most of the time. You can follow him on Twitter for all sorts of inspirational thoughts and good laughs.

Comments